View Single Post
Old 08-04-2008, 06:51 AM   #33
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Does being a "single mom" give you some kind of carte blanche to commit crimes?
Sorry Harry, I was trying to stay away from this discussion, but I HAVE to chime in.

I have to very respectfuly and very, VERY, *VERY* strongly disagree with you.

No. Being single mom does not give you carte blanche to commit crime.(**)

But, being INNOCENT single mom (we are talking about Tanya Andersen here), should exempt you from being harrased for years by a bunch of multibilon companies that have ganged up on you to make an example of you.

The RIAA continued to harras her long after it became clear that she did not commit copyright infringement. They found out who was sharing the files and one lawyer even asked her if she knows this person. So the RIAA knew! and yet, they did mot stop.

What the RIAA is doing is rackereering.
They approach thousands citizens with following proposal:
pay us $5000 for commiting something we have absolutely no valid proof of or fight us. IF you decide to fight you are very likely spend 20000 dolars EVEN IF YOU WIN.

What I personally fing very disturbing is, that once you become a target of RIAA it does not matter if you did something wrong. You lose. Even Tanya Andersen has lost. Yes the wonderfull American justice system eventualy declared her innocent, she was even awarged attorney fees (something that happens extremely rarely in RIAA lawsuits), nobody has compensated her for the broken health she has suffered as consequence of living under a terrible stress for years. Even if she was awarder 5 milion dollars, she is still the one that has lost.

(**) - I am not even sure if the copyright infringement is crime. It definitely isn't in my country. The copyright infringement is a civil law offence. PERIOD. When you commit crime - like murder - the criminal police goes after you and atorney general will sue you. It does not matter if the victim, or family sue you or not.
I can not explain it very well so let's have a look at the Wikipedia what is a crime
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crime
Quote:
Not all breaches of the law, however, are considered crimes, for example, breaches of contract and other civil law offences.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote