View Single Post
Old 12-17-2007, 12:57 PM   #17
mauibay
mauibay began at the beginning.

Device: prs-505
ok, found some more info by tailing /var/log/messages while connecting/disconnecting my prs505. The internal memory does not always get mounted when I connect the device. The two card slots always do, but for some reason it usually doesn't detect the internal partition.

On my system the prs505 mass storage devices are assigned to /dev/sdh/ dev/sdi and /dev/sdj. sdh is internal memory, sdi is the memory stick and sdj is the SD card. If the cards are inserted, linux sees /dev/sdi1 and /dev/sdj1 as appropriate every time. However, regardless of whether or not the cards are there, it usually does not see /dev/sdh1. When I look at the partition map for /dev/sdh with fdisk, when sdh1 is not detected it's empty and when detected it has a single FAT16 partition. So, it seems the problem is that most of the time there is something causing the internal memory's drive partition from been seen.

What I've noticed is that every time I connect the device and /dev/sdh1 is not detected and mounted, libprs500 fails to see the device. When /dev/sdh1 does get detected and mounted, libprs500 detects the device and I can send to it normally.

I've found there is a timing correlation that affects whether or not /dev/sdh1 appears when I connect the device. I haven't yet found a 100% reliable way to reproduce it, but I have found that if I don't wait for the device display to finish indicating it's done updating after unplugging the USB cable before plugging it in again it will get detected correctly. For example, it takes several seconds after unplugging the cable for the device screen to stop flashing and displaying the rotating sync icon. If I plug the cable back in sometime during this time, I'm now able to somewhat reliably have the device detected properly by libprs500.

I don't know if this problem is something unique to my system or device, or if this is just some quirk due to some difference between the prs500 and prs505 that hasn't been identified yet. I did notice that libprs500 apparently only recognizes one of the card slots when it does work, and that it doesn't always see the same slot. (It usually sees the memory stick, but sometimes sees the SD card, never both. Only one icon and 'send to' choice is offered.)

I can paste this into a ticket if desired, I just hope the info is helpful.
mauibay is offline   Reply With Quote