View Single Post
Old 12-20-2012, 11:07 PM   #30
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Is Siri a standard part of iOS6? I don't have it on my iPhone 4 (I think it came in with the 4S). From what I've read, it's not as useful in the UK as it is in the US, because it doesn't have here any of the geographical location facilities it does in the US.
I use Siri several times a day here in Japan. She's running at about 95% accuracy. The other day I asked for directions to 'Chinatown' in Kobe, and she gave me directions to the Chinese Consulate a few block away instead. But when I asked for the 'Motomachi Train Station,' the stop for Chinatown, I got a map with very clear walking directions, time and distance to the station.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Google has tuned maps.google.com to work very well on the iPhone with Safari. With that, no need to hold off on iOS 6.
I installed the new GoogleMap app into my brand new iPhone 5. Just bought last week. GoogleMap showed my position about 5 blocks away from where I actually was, although it did give the correct name for the area in English. The standard map app that came with the phone pinpointed me right to my building.

Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
Just FYI, I'm now back to getting about 8 hours of battery life on my iPhone 5 since 6.0.2. Between that and Google Maps, it's probably safe to upgrade now.
I'm finding the battery life MUCH better than I ever got with my iPhone 3G. Overnight... perhaps a one or two percent drop. During the day, I use it to listen to music for an hour or two, check mail, use the map, search Google, ask Siri questions, read the newspapers, and of course, make a few calls. By night time, I'm only down about 50%. But...
Every afternoon I turn off the background apps by double clicking the main button, then taping the wiggling circles. This takes 20 seconds and saves a massive amount of power! I've also shut off most of the 'notifications' for different apps except mail, messages, and clock. I don't need to be notified every time someone posts to Facebook... There are dozens of different battery-saving tips on YouTube, but you have to watch a few different ones to find all that are applicable to YOUR usage.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote