View Single Post
Old 01-23-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Lack of interest in the Linux community, I suppose.

The OS preference are basically passe' ,in my perspective. I have a job to do, how effect is the answer, and can I afford it?

A good scan setup for reflowable text will cost around $600 dollars. And that's to buy it for single purpose use. What do you get for the money?

ACER REVO mini PC with windows OS - $200
Optiscan 3600 scanner - $300
AABBY Express 10.0 ( I run 9.0 on my setup) - $60

shipping. - $40

You don't have to do anything else with the Windows PC, treat it as a embedded machine. (It's 15 cm x 15 cm by 4 cm, i.e smaller that a typical hardback)

You'll get a defect rate of 1 for every 4-5 pages for hardbacks, 1-2 per page for paperbacks, although it will vary on font type and size.

The snap scan method is for PDF's and you lose reflowability with it. It causes problems with texts that don't fit the screen.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote