View Single Post
Old 01-22-2012, 12:17 PM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
Uboot is on the mmc along with the kernel, serial/Mac address, and root partition. They can all be flashed from within Uboot and USB download mode.
I want to understand the kindle boot process so I can execute some code in RAM from USB/HID mode in my bricked K4NT.

The CPU in the new kindles contains a 96KB internal boot ROM (more info here): http://cache.freescale.com/files/32b...t/IMX50CEC.pdf

The boot code in this internal boot ROM is what initializes and mounts the external MMC, from which the linux kernel is loaded. This internal ROM is the same size as u-boot, as shown in this typical example taken from the "Das U-Boot" web page:
Code:
u-boot # tftp 8000 u-boot.bin
From server 10.0.0.1; our IP address is 10.0.0.11
Filename 'u-boot.bin'.
Load address: 0x8000
Loading: ###################
done
Bytes transferred = 95032 (17338 hex)
U-boot knows how to flash this internal flash boot ROM, as well as multiple kinds of external flash memory, including MMC. The MMC in the kindle begins with a partition table, and all four partitions are dedicated to other uses.

If u-boot were in the MMC, where would it go, and what code would then be in the "u-boot sized" Rflash ROM inside the CPU chip? The internal boot loader would have to include much of u-boots functionality just to initialize MMC and "boot" u-boot from MMC, so it might just as well boot the linux kernel directly.

If u-boot is in MMC as you say, could you please point me to some documentation that shows how and where u-boot *can* be loaded from MMC? Thanks.

Last edited by geekmaster; 01-22-2012 at 01:22 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote