View Single Post
Old 03-18-2015, 01:10 PM   #1
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Tie-in fiction - what are the greats?

Tie-in fiction tends to get a pretty bad reputation. I suspect most of us went through a phase of it, even if we later turned to original work.

What are the most notable works of tie-in fiction? Which ones ought to save its reputation? Which ones are historically significant?

Here's a few examples that I think probably count:

The Dragonlance Chronicles trilogy by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman (Dungeons & Dragons - Dragonlance) - I'm not sure these stand up too well any more, but I think they were a significant influence on the field at the time. A good few of the current crop of fantasy writers will mention them as an early influence. I think Dragonlance worked better as a set of novels than it did as a D&D setting, and I also feel that the subsequent Dragonlance Legends trilogy about the twins was probably more interesting.

The Icewind Dale trilogy by RA Salvatore (Dungeons & Dragons - Forgotten Realms) - I haven't read these myself, but I've heard of them, and their leading character, who became very popular.

The Thrawn Trilogy by Timothy Zahn (Star Wars) - Again, I haven't read these, and again their influence seems quite large, making the NPR Top 100 SF&F books.

Any other suggestions? Star Trek? Doctor Who? Warhammer? Warcraft? Pathfinder? Something non-SF/F that I can't think of right now?
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote