View Single Post
Old 12-16-2012, 03:16 PM   #54
opitzs
Avid Reader
opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.opitzs can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, PRS T1, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
i have started a petition some where else which is a secret place as i do not want spoil sports following me and try to cast ink into my clear vision with their egocentric selfishness.
That is your prerogative of course, but don't you run against your own claim, that a majority of users prefers your system? This can't hold water if you have to exclude the majority to "stay true" to your vision.

So you would like a feature implemented, that only a minority needs. That means first of all patience and second perseverance.

You go against two major obstacles:
1. Of course the vision of the company.
Lets be honest, most, if not all, in this forum don't represent the average user, but a more or less sophisticated user. The fact is, average users would never use a folder based system, as they are a not aware it is doable, second it is too much work and third if they buy a drm protected book it would not fit in, as that is only available in ADE or Kobo desktop, but not where they can find it. Stripping DRM? Not the average user. The average user doesn't even know there is something like calibre.
Why implement a feature that benefits only a tiny group of users?

2. Features the majority wants
If a company has the time and implementation isn't too expensive, it will look what average users want. That is where this forum is important, as I really believe they look in fora like this one too see what is wanted. It is a cheap and quite reliable way to gage what users want. As you saw yourself, your idea wasn't received too well. A lot of this has to do with your language, but I think the most important fact is, that most really don't use a folder based system. And even those who are, there is no real reason to have all books with you all the time (except for real exceptions, that are very rare). I only have about a hundred books on my reader at a time, if I go on vacation, that might go up a bit, but I wouldn't even need the shelf system to organise the hundred books on the reader. So if you feel you need to have all books with you, too much for the shelf system, you really can't demand from Kobo, that they serve your every whim.

If you are not using the device for the purpose it was built, you have to first find a way to compromise, then ask if the purpose of the device can be changed. If you demand whatever you feel you need, Kobo will just (absolutely correct) decide, that it really doesn't change their situation one bit, if you buy a Kobo or not.

The internet is of course big enough, that you can find a place where you can be alone, so you don't have to bear anyone who doesn't think like you do, but I don't think, that will give more weight to your wishes, I think the opposite would be true.

So, a long post (that you'll likely ignore) later:
Grow up!

Sven