View Single Post
Old 09-17-2012, 11:59 AM   #2
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
This may have been covered before - I know the topic has been mentioned under other threads - but couldn't find a detailed thread on the subject. (Hopefully someone will point me in the right direction if I missed it.) Anyway...

I was wondering what people thought about trying to sell their books off their own website: Have you tried it? What are the downsides? What are the upsides? What sorts of services work best for selling ebooks?
Frankly, IMO, it is not worth it. I link to Amazon, B&N and so on from my site. I have sold via my site in the past, but the general public trusts Amazon more then they trust you. For very good reasons. Heck Amazon even lets you build a customized store front with your logo/etc and their products/payment gateway.

There is liabilities and etc that you face if you accept payments, security and the like you need to bake in... all of which goes away if you pass the buck on that. No to mention, inventory and shipping if you want to deal with print books. Then you have more detailed reporting, pending your locality, for sales taxes, businesses licenses and so on.

I know there are a couple-few people here that insist selling from their own site was best idea for them, but I still hold that in the general case, let the stores be the stores and you direct your energies else where.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote