View Single Post
Old 02-15-2011, 05:00 PM   #11
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Color me startled. At this point, I would have said the refresh rate on e-Ink devices was simply too slow to make video realistic. This is actually usable.

I'll be fascinated to know more about the hardware. An ARM 8 Cortex CPU is a fast chip, but it's only part of the equation. Details like what video controller they are using would be nice.

It will also be curious to see what battery life is like doing this. eInk gets huge savings because no power is required to maintain the screen once drawn, and for standard reading, screen refresh is an "every so often" occurrence as you reach the end of a page and go to the next. With video, a lot more screen refresh happens, and I'd expect battery life to drop in consequence.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote