Thread: Line Spacing
View Single Post
Old 07-03-2012, 09:43 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
I've attached an example of the Waste Land that I've been working on - with markdown you have two choices to prevent wrapping, you need to either add two spaces to the end of the line, or you need to put an empty line in between the lines. Two spaces works better if you want it to look more like poetry in text. In my example I went with line in-between instead.

After you import the file, then click convert. Under the conversion options, under text input, change the paragraph style to off (you could also try single if you don't have any paragraphs across mutiple lines in your text.), change the formatting style to markdown.

The extra css option is under look and feel - it's the big empty text box at the bottom of that window. Here's the css I used with the book I've attached
Code:
*{margin:0;padding:0;}
body {
	font:1em serif;
	color:black;
	line-height:1.4em;
	background-color: #F8F8F8;
	padding: 0.7em;
}
p {
	margin:0 3% 0 10%;
	line-height:1.5em;
	text-indent:-5%;
}
blockquote>p {
	margin:0 0;
	line-height:1.5em;
	text-indent:0;
}
img{border:0;max-width:100%;}
abbr{border-bottom:none;}
span.smcps{font-size:.75em;}
h2,h3{margin:1em 0;}
h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6{border:0;text-align:center;margin-top:2em;}
h1{font-size:170%;border-top:4px solid #aaa;padding-top:.5em;margin-top:1.5em;}
h1:first-child{margin-top:0;padding-top:.25em;border-top:none;}
h2{font-size:150%;margin-top:1.5em;border-top:4px solid #e0e0e0;padding-top:.5em;}
hr{border:1px solid #ddd;}
ul{margin:1em 0 1em 2em;}
ol{margin:1em 0 1em 2em;}
ul li,ol li{margin-top:.5em;margin-bottom:.5em;}
ul ul,ul ol,ol ol,ol ul{margin-top:0;margin-bottom:0;}
blockquote{margin:1em 5% 1em 10%;}
blockquote>blockquote{text-align:center}
dt{font-weight:bold;margin-left:1em;}
dd{margin-left:2em;margin-bottom:1em;}
linenum{text-align:right;float:right;}
Note that css is a bit overkill, I'm using a Markdown editor which supplied a lot of it and I haven't gone through and cleaned it all up. Anyway just paste it all into extra css and click convert.

Just mirror the formatting/steps in your own docs and you should be good to go. I highly recommend getting a markdown editor if you plan to be working with a lot of files - on the Mac I use Mou.
Attached Files
File Type: txt The Waste Land - T. S. Eliot.txt (27.9 KB, 249 views)

Last edited by ldolse; 07-04-2012 at 03:05 AM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote