View Single Post
Old 02-05-2013, 02:55 PM   #24
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Normally I'm happy just being able to change to my font. So I'll open up an epub only if I find I can't override the font and usually just fix that.

I'm currently reading a book though where they went nuts trying to use tables multiple times, and each instance left it unreadable. One instance was for a press conference setting, putting the person or paper's name at the left, with their text in a right column. Which forced the text each said at the right so it would only be about 1/2 the width of the screen. And if the entire text from one person or source didn't fit on the same one page (and it often didn't), it was just lost... it didn't flow to the next page, it was just cut off. It's maddening to run into bad formatting like that.

I was happy at least that I was at home reading and could instantly fix it. If I had been out for the day where I often read a lot, I would have been fuming for the next 8 hours until I got back home. I'd pretty much have to start another book if I wanted to keep reading, which I don't like reading 2 at once, or just live with missing a lot of key interchanges, equally unacceptable to me.

But I find screwups like this just impossible to understand how and why they manage to do it as publishers. And after this one I just might do as others have posted, always open up the book first and see what needs to be fixed before I open it on my reader to sit down with.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote