View Single Post
Old 10-25-2012, 05:10 PM   #24
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
I also note

[root@kindle bin]# ls /dev/pts/*

which are the psuedo-ttys. I shall read up what they actually are.
I don't think those will help you any.

Are you looking at this via the graphic's display of Linux Mint (or almost any X11 display)?
Good, I thought you might be.

Now to get a key sequence past X11 in this case, you need to prefix the virtual terminal key sequence with 'ctrl', otherwise, don't use control (you might want to remember these before pressing the first:
ctrl-alt-f1 : VT1
alt-f2 : VT2
alt-f3 : VT3
alt-f4 : VT4
alt-f5 : VT5
alt-f6 : VT6
alt-f7 : VT7 - on which Linux Mint runs X11 display 0:0
Under a 'stock' Linux Mint, you only have one graphic display and 6 character based terminals

If you want to, you could log in on any of those others (just remember were you put things if using more than one and who you are, if logging in under a different user name).
They each have a 'getty' running on them. (see: /etc/inittab)

If you want to, you could also run 'getty' on f8, f9, f10, f11, f12

Whichever one you are looking at, at the moment, that is /dev/tt0
(Linux Mint is nice to the lost person - it tells you which one you just selected above the new login prompt).

Fun? Right!

And yes, you don't have to run 'getty' on the VTs, you could run something else (like a dedicated game program, or even another X11 session - that is under the control of your X11 config stuff).

If you want to play 1970's fun*, run a serial cable from your box's serial port into another room with a 'dumb' terminal attached, then read notes in inittab about how to assign one of the VTs to that serial cable.

- - - - -

If you can remember the '70s, you weren't where the action was.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote