View Single Post
Old 08-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #111
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by preempalver View Post
I have a problem on my PB603. When I've used the test images you posted on Pocketbook forum section, your 600x800_16.bmp worked fine. Now the plugin transfers images like the attachment below, and PB says "bmp format not supported." My plugin configuration is on the other image.
I'm running Calibre 0.8.66 on Ubuntu 10.04 up-to-date, Hope this helps.
Aah! This looks like this may be the same problem bverspeiser reported in post #106 above. The reason your attached bmp doesn't work (and presumably all bmps created by this plugin) is because it is 24BPP -- the Pocketbook requires 4BPP. When I use the plugin on my own WinXP PC, the bmps are produced as 4BPP - hence Pocketbook is OK with them. When paola beta-tested the plugin on her PB903 she also had no problems. I'm not sure whether she is also a Windows user, I suspect she is, but I need to ask her.

If so the question to be resolved is - why does the calibre routine which converts to greyscale produce 4BPP bmps on Windows but 24BPP bmps on some (all?) Linux machines, and is there something I can add to the plugin to force 4BPP for everyone?

Unfortunately, bverspeiser stopped responding to my PMs mid-investigation so I was unable to pursue the problem. I do not have access to Ubuntu (or any other Linux flavour) myself. Maybe, with your help, I can finally get to the bottom of it

The next step is for me to re-examine the convert-to-greyscale routine and ask for specific advice from the Calibre gurus. Maybe there is a better method of doing it than the one I'm currently using.

I'll continue this conversation via PM. I need to dig around a bit more. So please bear with me.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote