View Single Post
Old 12-12-2009, 12:44 PM   #6
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Instead of creating a window which will encourage pirating, it would make more sense to me to promptly release eBooks in the formats of the cooperative retailers, and let Amazon hang by their thumbs for four months.
If I'm a publisher, I'm not going to be concerned by a window for piracy. Sure, piracy occurs, but how much of the market actively does it? And the pirates will do it anyway, regardless of when the ebook is actually released.

As for cooperative retailers, that's a questionable benefit. "Cooperative" in this context means "Will charge higher prices the publishers prefer". So what happens if the publishers do this? They may get some sales from folks who want the book now and are willing to pay a higher price. I suspect more folks will simply wait, and possibly be peeved at the other retailers for higher prices and not buy from them.

If I'm a retailer, I'm competing on price among other things, and I'll think hard about deliberately charging more than a competitor. I may do so if I'm competing with a "loss leader" on which my competition is losing money to gain traffic, but beyond that is another matter.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote