View Single Post
Old 02-27-2013, 11:47 PM   #471
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev. Bob View Post
Conversely, if the device doesn't see the card, how does the user tell the difference between "step 4 is coming, so hang on and wait while I check the card for changes" and "I don't see that there's a card to scan, so there is no step 4"? I have had both the "significant 3-4 delay" and "no card seen" problems, and only rarely have I seen the "bad card" message.
Any time the device has detected the card, something happens quickly to tell me. Maybe there are other steps that happen a little later, but I could tell that the device knew about the card immediately. Anytime the card was not detected, the device did nothing. BUt, I'll have to put a card in that has a few books and watch what happens. And then eject and reinsert.
Quote:
Next time I get a chance, I'll hook my reader up, look at the database to determine number of lines, and then try (a) replacing a book on the card through the USB cable, (b) replacing the same book through the power-off-eject-card process, and (c, d) deleting the book through the device and then adding it back through each of the above methods. At no point in these tests will I engage either wifi sync or desktop software sync, to shut out all external factors.

If the database is behaving correctly, all five versions of the database should contain the same number of lines, right?
Are you changing the book in any way? If so, (a) should result in one less book on the device and hence less lines in the content table. I would expect the same for (b) but haven't tested it. (c) and (d) should have the same number. If you use an unchanged book with exactly the same file name and path each time, then the number of rows in the content table shouldn't change.
[/QUOTE]
I can understand that, at least up to a point. I would certainly prefer to see the device do something like "if the assigned unique identifier is the same as the old version, transfer the shelving and progress data over to the new version, because it's the same book."[/QUOTE]

The device can't do that because it no longer knows about the book. When the device detects the book has changed (looking at file size) it deletes the book and removes it from the database. You have to do whatever you usually do to put another copy of the book onto the device. At that time, it is a new book to the device because it removed all details of it in the first step.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote