View Single Post
Old 03-30-2012, 03:35 AM   #1
louwin
Newbie Nerd
louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.louwin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3 64Gb Black
"Add Books" naming convention peeves

I'm sorry to complain (and with all due respect) since Calibre is free and all but why does it, when confronted with the text:-

Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke

1 Spaceguard
2 Intruder
3 Rama and Sita
etc

conclude that the title of the book is "Rendezvous with Rama by Arthur C Clarke" and that the author is "1 Spaceguard"?

Well, I know why but WHY? Surely Calibre should recognise the "by" and conclude that the title is "Rendevous with Rama" and the author is "Arthur C Clarke"?

Must Calibre assume the first line is the title and the second line is the author?

I have dozens of books like this all incorectly titled by the "Add Books" option.

Maybe special significance should be given to " by " in the parsing logic?

I also have lots of books headed by:-

Book Title
Some Author

The way I assume Calibre likes things so setting an option somewhere is not the way to go

Also

What is it with the titles like:-

file:///D|/Documents%20and%20Settings/harry/Desktop/Anthony%20Piers%20-%20Up%20in%20a%20Heaval.html

which came from a pdf file with the following in the front of it

UP IN A
HEAVAL
TOR BOOKS BY PIERS ANTHONY

Calibre got the "Up in a Heaval" and the "Anthony Piers" why not guess this rather than the complex string with the interspaced "%20"s?

I'm sorry if this comes across a bit strong, no disrespect is intended
louwin is offline   Reply With Quote