View Single Post
Old 03-08-2012, 04:43 PM   #16
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Device: none
I have a question that someone may be able to answer here. I've tested converting an ePub to Mobi using both Calibre and the new Kindle Previewer. The problem I found is that using the Previewer, it converts basically perfectly, styles and all...but with the latest Calibre it still seemed to align right on every paragraph, as Mobi's have apparently always done.
No problem, I'm sure that will all be fixed soon enough since Calibre is the all around most useful tool I've seen so far (next to Sigil for what it does .

However, the Mobi file converted with the new Previewer (which I think uses the new KindleGen) is much larger than the original ePub (5mb larger). I've been told it's because Mobi keeps the original in there when it does the conversion, which wouldn't be a problem except that Amazon charges you per-MB and that can add up on a big book. I heard about Kindlestrip possibly removing the excess original material, but I'm not sure it will work since Amazon's new K8 format seems to be a new issue for all these programs.

So, does anyone know if it's possible to remove the junk from a converted Mobi file and reduce the size so it's in-line with the original ePub size (or less if Mobi crunches images as I hear it does?) Does removing it damage it's usability in some way I won't want?

And, is there any word on when Calibre might convert like the new Previewer does, keeping the styles intact? (If it left out the excess baggage..that would be sweet too)

Thanks,
JT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote