View Single Post
Old 03-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #5
Chaos
Evangelist
Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Chaos has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Assorted older devices
Ack.

PARAGRAPHS, PLEASE... It's hard to read a block of text like that.

But from what I did read...

Quote:
I think loading times are a small price to pay for being able to play DVDs and also being able to hold 1.8gigs on the cartridge.
But it doesn't play DVDs, does it? It plays those UMD discs, which aren't standardized.

Quote:
You look at other media players out there and they are all above $300.
But, the PSP is not a media player (only). And to get anywhere near the space you'd get in, say, an iPod, it would cost thousands of dollars in memory sticks (at last count a 4GB stick was around $1000 - the smallest iPod has 20 GB). And unless I'm wrong, the discs (UMD) are proprietary and there isn't really burning hardware for them. And I don't know about you, but personally I wouldn't spend more money on a movie that I already have in a different, less compatible format than a DVD.

Quote:
Also I havent messed with it yet but I believe the PSP is also equiped with a WiFi or something for online play. I dont think DS has this either.
Actually, yes the DS does have wireless. Please do your research before criticizing a device incorrectly.

Quote:
In closing I dont think DS has anything over PSP performance wise but I think that as when PS1 and Nintendo 64 came out people will be wary of the loading times and so forth, flocking to one camp or the other. But I think Sony will win again.
While the PSP does have more raw power, gaming systems aren't only about power. Some of the best games are the simplest ones. And there has not ever been a clear winner in any of the "console wars", so saying Sony'll win again isn't really that correct.

And while I tried to avoid bringing the DS too much into this thread, there is the point about the DS having the ability to play GBA games, giving it a huge library of already-released games to play. In my opinion the games look much better on the DS than the original GBA. And supposedly they look better than on the GBASP too.