View Single Post
Old 10-24-2014, 12:11 PM   #14
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Totally agree! My PW2 had a really nice screen, and it was the first and only PW2 I had. I lucked out on the PW2. But the text was just too fuzzy for my eyes. I kept it a few months but finally had to admit it mostly sat on a shelf collecting dust. Plus I got tired of having to embed a font or turn all the text bold so I could read without too much eyestrain.

I'm still on the fence with my Voyage. I want to keep it, but will it just turn into a paperweight? I have to fiddle with it to get the lighting just right. And then I can still see the giant, but thankfully dim, smudge on the upper 1/3 of the screen. But at least it doesn't degrade the text. But the blue tint is annoying even though I can make it mostly disappear too. But it is like trying to get TV reception from a rabbit ears antenna when you live 20 miles from the TV transmitter tower. There will be a lot of repositioning until you get a clear picture. Last night I realized I was leaning funny in my recliner, then understood I did so to get the Voyage into a position where its light combined with the table light made most of the design flaws fade away enough to read. Hmmmm? To be honest all the Kobo images I've seen look just as bad. I see the same kinds of defects in them.
I know, they make it hard to make a decision. The font on my PW2 looks fine to me, until I compare it to the voyage and can then see the voyage is sharper. It's frustrating with these devices that we can't simply be completely satisfied and instead always have issues that complicate things but, at the same time, have the device still be good enough to put you on the fence about it. Argh.

I'm definitely returning my voyage, but I'm going to give the H20 a try. If that doesn't work out, I'll stick with my PW2 for another year.

What defects are you noticing on the Kobo screens? I thought they looked pretty good as far as evenness goes. I want to give one a try and see what I think. I do a lot of reading outside in the Spring and Summer and also at night in the dark, so I really love having a lighted reader for night, but one I can also use outside. I just wish they didn't make the process so painful for us. Good luck with your decision! It might be worth trying one more, do you think? Maybe at Best Buy?
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote