View Single Post
Old 10-19-2008, 06:01 PM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy White View Post
If you're looking for hard boiled over the top pulp fiction from the 50's in the style of Dashiel Hammet or Spillane I HIGHLY recommend Jim Thompson. His best was A Killer Inside Me. Fairly violent and bleak stuff. Very descriptive yet reminisceent of Dostoevsky. He was highly skilled at laying down the inner motives of his characters. He wrote for the pulp mags mostly and scraped by while swimming in drink. His stories are all about grifters and losers and criminals of the worst kind, written from a chilling first person perspective that manages to justify the crime and violence in a weird way.
I totally agree.

Also, if you want something not quite as literary, but loads of fun to read, try the Shell Scott private eye novels by Richard S. Prather. I thoroughly enjoy these.

Fictionwise has 36 different titles.

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote