View Single Post
Old 04-23-2013, 02:36 AM   #4
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannyGrumpy View Post
Hi Doitsu, and thank you for your reply. So, tell me -- just between you, me, and the fencepost, in what areas does the Previewer fail of reliablity?
I've only occasionally noticed minor differences. For example, dropcaps look slightly different in the previewer in Kindle Paperwhite mode.

Hopefully, some more experienced MR users will also chime in.

Quote:
I can see I'm going to have to learn about some new tools (I only ever used Python scripts a tiny bit some years ago when I was using Avisynth to edit video).
Using Python scripts isn't actully that complicated. If you're using Windows, just install ActivePython and you're done.
BTW, you can also use Calibre to generate .mobi, .azw3 or hybrid files. Many MR uploaders apparently go that route, which also has the advantage that Calibre will add an HTML TOC and guide locations, if they're not present in the epub.

Quote:
So what do most uploaders do? Upload the hybrid? Split the file and upload one? Or split and upload both formats?
I've seen all 3 versions, but since the KF8 format hasn't been around that long, most .mobi books in the MR library are non-KF8 books that can be read with any Kindle.
I usually only upload hybrid files, when I embed fonts and otherwise non-KF8 .mobi files.
(If you use KindleGen with the -c2 option, hybrid .mobi files are on average only 10-20% larger than the corresponding ePub files after stripping the source files.)

As I mentioned before, creating KF8 files from ePub files isn't that complicated. Since your books usually already contain an inline TOC and guide items for TOC and cover, you'll only need to add another Text guide item for the Kindle Start Reading location and slightly change the dropcaps style.

To give you an idea what your book looks like on Kindle, I took 4 screen captures of your latest Mark Twain book: Kindle Previewer, Kindle for PC, K3 with embedded fonts and K3 without embedded fonts.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K3_EmbeddedFontsOff.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	104828   Click image for larger version

Name:	K3_EmbeddedFontsOn.JPG
Views:	223
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	104829   Click image for larger version

Name:	KindleForPC.JPG
Views:	241