View Single Post
Old 11-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #21
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Originally Posted by holymadness View Post
There is also the issue, probably quite salient for many publishers, that their visual identity and brand are closely associated with the way their publications look in print. Stripping that extraneous formatting away and reducing it to simple text and images probably chafes a lot of editors. Still, I would argue they are just resisting the inevitable at this point.
And if they all start going that route, I will once again stop reading them. I appreciate layout design. Without that, much would be lost in the experience for me.

And there's no need when the solution has already been found - the magazines I read in Play on my tablet have an article-view mode that reduces it to essential formatting more suitable to small devices.

Options are good. Stripping everything down to the simplest form... makes me cringe, honestly. There's a reason why we have different content delivery forms with varying levels of visual complexity. There's no reason why we have to eliminate the more complex forms to meet the needs of a user subset. We can have options.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote