View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #52
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh603 View Post
That's no elephant. That's how most computer companies work; keep the existing case designs as long as possible and just change out the innards to make a newer model. Apple did it with the original Mac thru the Mac plus (although the Plus had an extra hole for the SCSI port), the SE and SE/30, the Classic and Classic II, the six-slot Mac II line, the three-slot Mac II line, the three different styles of Tanzania-board PowerMac (tower, desktop, and all-in-one), many of the iMacs and all the Mac Mini line, and all that. In some cases, the only difference in models was the price and the sticker on the front.

I disagree; I think the iPad's design is a great study in minimalism. The only thing I'd add is an outbound USB port, but that's relatively minor. I don't see how a different design would add any new functionality to it.
That is all true. But the whole Apple system, the future growth of the company, depends on people upgrading to the new models all the time. So you have to offer new designs to entice them to do it. If users think "this is good enough for me, I will keep using my old device", then the good days are over.

Unless they have another completely new product line coming up no later than next year.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote