View Single Post
Old 09-15-2009, 03:41 AM   #1
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
PRS-505 users: Landscape or Portrait?

I've been trying to set up some Chinese novel PDFs, but have found that the screen is too small and too low-quality to display my Ming/Song fonts at a reasonable size (9-10pt). Beefing up the font results in marginally superior visual effect, but makes the portrait view I'd prefer much much less feasible. As a result, I decided to try out landscape mode (well actually, portrait mode with rotated characters), and found it to be a bit better for viewing, but significantly better for handling, as long as I use my left hand for page turns. I still can't get Chinese to display well, but that seems like it's a problem that won't go away until the screens get better.

When holding the reader in portrait mode, I find the design is pretty terrible. The right-side buttons are too low if you want to avoid setting the corner of the device into your palm, and the corners are not rounded. I wanted to move my hand up and hold the reader by the side, but then the page flip buttons are too low. Perhaps I should contemplate one of those hacks that configures some of the number buttons for that purpose?

With English books, I can't stand landscape orientation, but I have to admit my left hand finds it the most comfortable way to hold the reader sans case/cover.

This is mostly without the cover. With the cover, I find it can pad the corners a little to make it rest in the hand a little less uncomfortably, but I often prefer to read without the cover.

How do you hold your device, especially without the cover?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote