View Single Post
Old 09-20-2013, 04:02 AM   #39
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by 52novels View Post
Truth told, it has nothing at all to do with satisfying my inner geek (which is far more interested in the upcoming release of FIFA 14) and more to do with satisfying my need to efficiently solve a problem.
I had to look that up (FIFA 14), as I've never played a video game. No, I'm not making that up. I did play Pong, a long time ago, in a Galaxy far, far away. :-)

Quote:
RMSDK's lack of support for these features is precisely equivalent to all of the features that Kindle didn't support until KF8. We still managed to make books that satisfied millions of Kindle readers, most (if not all) of whom never knew their epub-reading compadres were seeing drop caps instead of initial caps, fonts not named Caecelia, floating images, and proper blockquotes with margin on the left and right.

Rob, maybe I'm just being dense--my crew would certainly second that notion--but to me, it's no more efficient to use a selector class than a paragraph class, and in using the latter, you can use media-queries to do both K7 and K8. I don't disagree with you that many Kindle readers (of the human kind) never knew that their ePUB compatriots saw slightly different books, but I know that both our companies always tried within the available limits to conform the books as best possible, e.g., the ubiquitous Raised Initial in lieu of a DropCap back in the mobi K6/7 days. Sure, we have to throw in a span class, but most of us have regex to pretty much auto-span almost anything, if needed, particularly in those first paras, etc.

It's just everyday choices we all make in this racket. {shrug}. I don't mind doing the extra bit, or having my folks do the extra bit, to conform the K7 copies to the K8 versions as much as possible. Amazon sold millions of those, and the people who have them don't seem to be in a hurry to give them up. I understand and respect your point; my view is just slightly different.

We keep seeing a lot of suggested coding in this forum, and some of the others, that completely ignores the existence of K7 at all, and proposes CSS that would never work, even remotely, for the K7 devices. I suppose it's all well and good for folks like the type that hang out here or do this professionally, to discuss these more elegant solutions, because we already know that the suggested coding/solution won't work for K7, and thus have some type of backup plan.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote