View Single Post
Old 09-13-2013, 06:37 PM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan Tomorrow View Post
@Doitsu: Awesome, thanks! I know, I just had to say it. SCNR!

BTW, how about you rename the thread into CSS 3 selector support in KF8? May make it easier to find for people.

@Hitch: As for mobi7 devices, the mobi7 file viewed in calibre just keeps the indentations for those exceptions where I wanted them removed. One could just add the second more conventional selector I mentioned above (I made that one first and then reverse-engineered the :not() selectors from it because I like using the most elegant selectors possible). No problemo.

I didn't test the Mobi7 on my KT. Here I just tweaked an e-book for my persona library. All e-books I convert from EPUB are converted to KF8 by default, so it doesn't concern me. I don't look back. But if I designed an ebook for sale, I would make sure to have fallback rules (except for the more cosmetic/fancy formatting like RbnJrg's Drop Caps people won't notice missing).
Dylan:

I have to say, I don't think that adding any selectors is going to solve the problem, as technically, K7 is not making use of CSS. So, if I understand you correctly, the selectors had zero impact on the paragraphs, right? Thus, to make the paragraphs work, across all the Amazon devices (and, BTW, the last time I looked, this was true for Nook, too; pseudo-elements/classes did not work in Nook/ADE), you'd need a styled paragraph class for a fallback, in which case....why use the pseudo-elements in the first place?

If the paragraph must have a styled class in order to work, for all devices, then the use of the pseudo-classes/elements is just make-work, to my mind. I'm not denigrating what you've done, but as a commercial bookmaker, who can't make books for one device, or just to suit myself, I have to be sure that the book conforms across all, or nearly all, devices. (Obviously, many of the app-based readers just...do their own thing.)

My question is, then: if you have to do A (A being, use a named class for an un-ented paragraph, in order for it to work), why do B as well? I could see it if we were future-proofing (like using Alt tags for a someday in which pop-ups exist), but...??

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote