View Single Post
Old 08-16-2011, 07:23 PM   #120
Gary_M_Mugford
Groupie
Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Gary_M_Mugford has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo, Kindle3
Transferring Settings from Computer to Computer

Kiwidude,

Recently, I switched my calibre computer from an XP machine to a new state of the art Win7 box. Calibre took a little re-setting up. One of the things that did have to be set up was Generate Cover. Making sure Calibre wasn't running, I was able to do it with the following steps:
  1. copy the generate cover folder and the Generate Cover.json file to the new machine.
  2. set up a generate cover test on the new machine.
  3. make a back up copy of the json file on the new machine in case things go awry
  4. copy the json file from the old machine over top the newly created one and copy the folder contents to the new location
  5. edit the Generate Cover.json file for two things. Change all the file locations to the new file location. I copied the file path and went to edit|replace. Then I went to my file browser and copied the new path (The XP machine's path differs because of the introduction of new User system in WIn7). Copy the new path to the replace dialog's field AND then go through and add an extra backslash for every backslash in the path. In my case it made 29 changes.
  6. The second thing to edit for is for font names that are missing or different on the new computer. Change them to something generic, like Arial or Times New Roman.
And that was that. I saved the file and fired up Calibre. Went to the first magazine article I had just imported into Calibre and hit the Generate Cover button. All of my choices were there and I was able to pick the NSports article cover. Happy camper.

Due to the need to work around the font and path issue AND package the graphics, I don't think an option to do this is all that necessary. I hope the step-by-step guide above will serve in its stead.

Thanks as always, GM
Gary_M_Mugford is offline   Reply With Quote