View Single Post
Old 07-31-2013, 12:38 PM   #2
MathieuP
MathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura aboutMathieuP has a spectacular aura about

Device: Pocketbook 903 Pro
I think the Pocketbook 912 fits your bill. I can vouch for the good built, although a tough, large reader will not be ultralight as well.

It sports Wifi and Bluetooth (which are enabled only when you do need them), text-to-speech and mp3 support. I have no clue on the support of large SD cards.

I own the 903 myself (an older, pricier version of the same device). I use it routinely to read and annotate large PDF files (yum, 300+ pages of financial regulations).

For the record, my device fell several times, without any significant damage. It once even made the dreadef fall on a corner (and not any corner, the one with the stylus holder), and came out of it unscathed.

Software quality will be another issue, though. PB offer will be less slick and professional-looking than Sony's, but benefits from powerful user-contributed apps (you can find examples in this forum, such as Coolreader or mupdfviewer). If you are ready to tolerate some glitches against added versatility, this should be OK.

My take is that, in fact, your choice is down to the PB 912 or its Onyx equivalent, since battery life means tablets are out of the picture. And I think the PB 912 is a sturdier device than the Onyx.
MathieuP is offline   Reply With Quote