View Single Post
Old 06-24-2012, 07:59 AM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I do short fiction too, but not all that often anymore, mostly because people don't seem interested in short fiction as much these days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertLCollins View Post
I write short fiction, too. I'm offering the previously published works as ebooks. I've said before elsewhere, I think readers aren't yet used to getting short fiction on its own. They've been getting it from magazines and anthologies. Perhaps in time they'll figure out they can also get short stories on their own, outside of any other publication.
Yep, it's definitely not seeming to be a place to make money, but still it is my favorite form (well other than poetry )

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmw View Post
I can certainly see why there should be a growing market for short fiction, it seems an ideal medium for mobile phone readers and readers with a hectic live style.

I used to read a lot of short fiction when I was younger, especially when I was an avid fan of science-fiction; so much sci-fi, back then anyway, was really about a single idea and short fiction was the ideal way to carry it. Too many tried to write novels based on that single idea, a longer work needs more to it, and I suspect that's why I slowly moved over to mainly fantasy - the longer the better. ....
I still sometimes read collections of short fiction, but mainly as time fillers, and I generally come away feeling unsatisfied. .....
I read most of my short fiction from anthologies as well.. The Best of ... Pen/O Henry etc. as well as various collections (often intended for literature classes I presume) such as the Norton Anthologies (short stories, SF, etc.)

Very few novels leave me feeling like (as Emily says) the top of my head just blew off! but many short stories do -- both SF/Mainstream/literary.

Thanks for chiming in guys!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote