View Single Post
Old 10-02-2009, 05:48 PM   #6
N0NJY
Time Traveler
N0NJY began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Yes... I agree with all you've stated. Having been a college teacher (Electronics/physics fields) I certainly can see this exactly.

I had students that, after a decent information filled lecture on exactly how diodes (for instance) are made and function, invariably would ask me "But, what's the ANSWER?"

When I would respond to "What was the question?" they would say "How does a diode work" - so going through a different explanation, perhaps with less math and even less theory (or more depending on the group or student) I'd try a different approach.

Eventually, after doing this a few times I finally was enlightened on what the student was REALLY asking me. He wanted to know the hard, firm answer (if troubleshooting a device for instance) that he could point to his notes and say "AH HA! I've found it" (the problem).

In other words, they believed there was a sub-set of specific things one can always point to as a problem inside, say a radio receiver or transmitter and that would ALWAYS be the problem.

I had to give them the bad news and tell them that "troubleshooting isn't a set of answers and there's not a distinct set of responses for each, individual component".

I think I lost several students the next day (you know, the ones that really do not wish to THINK things out haha).

At least my classes were FUN and over the years I've met many of my students out in the real world earning a living doing what they were taught.

I suppose that something like this might actually make some colleges better while others continue to get worse. Even so - I think knowledge still needs to be passed on carefully, fully and completely and new ideas examined for clarity and facts... we will see.
N0NJY is offline   Reply With Quote