View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 04:14 AM   #11
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
But those are symlinks, which Unix/Linux created,
Ahem - they were in Data Generals RDOS, Digital Equipment's TOPS and General Electrics GECOS, I'm pretty certain they were in Multics and I'd be surprised if they were not also in Burrough's MCP. All of which predate the development of Unix, Ken Thompson and Dennis Ritchie worked on the Multics project at MIT prior to creating Unix at Bell.

The evolution of Operating Systems didn't start with Unix, although one could argue its more or less come to halt ever since.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
...Windows XP can't make them ... Here is a program to create a GUI for the process: Link Shell Extension
At the bottom of the LSE page there's a link to a library from Masatoshi Kimura that exposes the functions to create symlinks on XP - they were always there, just that MS kept them hidden. I used the library for many years on NT.5.1 and XP (NT 5.2).

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-08-2013 at 05:53 AM.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote