View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 12:45 AM   #30
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Glad you got so much out of it, Caleb. Yes, I have left Sarah Thornhill for the time being, though I expect I shall read it one day. It won't be a rerun of the period covered by The Secret River, but presumably covers the next period of settlement.

The Lieutenant is only part of the so-called trilogy because it is set in the very early days of the colony. The central character is based on Lieutenant Dawes who was an interesting man, though no doubt seen as a bit of an oddball at the time. He endeavoured to learn the local language and became friendly with a young Cadigal woman. He was fascinated by the people and the place, and wanted to stay on after his tour of duty ended. He was sent home though, and later got very involved in the abolition of slavery.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote