View Single Post
Old 10-17-2013, 07:14 PM   #28
Bookpossum
Snoozing in the sun
Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookpossum ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, Kobo Touch
Great post, Hamlet and an interesting final question. Smasher is of course very much at one end of the spectrum and it's hard to feel any sympathy or concern about his end.

But I think the vast majority of people knew that their actions were wrong, or there would not have been such a conspiracy of silence, and euphemisms such as "dispersal" used when what was really happening was mass murder. (This is a term which appears in the newspapers of the time.)

Only rarely was something done about it. The most famous occasion was the Myall Creek Massacre in northern New South Wales, where the perpetrators were brought to trial, found guilty and some hanged for murder. The Governor of the time, George Gipps was of course vilified for insisting on this happening. Much as I dislike capital punishment, I admire him enormously for his stance when so many others looked away from what was being done.
Bookpossum is offline   Reply With Quote