View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013, 09:51 PM   #57
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTravers View Post

I'll definitely be looking forward to hearing your impressions of it once you get it on Friday.

I got the Solo today as well as the Fintie hard shell back cover. After weighing everything and looking it over, I decided to attach the Solo directly to the back of the iPad and return the Fintie shell. I wasn't real happy with the quality of the shell, and it was already scratched up out of the package. It also makes it hard to lift the Smart Cover from the edge. With the shell + Solo + Smart Cover the weight was a couple ounces more than the Roocase origami, so opted for less weight. Total weight of iPad + Solo + Smart Cover is 23.3 oz.

The size is just few mm wider than the iPad air, so it hangs over a tiny bit on the two sides, but it's not a problem. I think it looks better on the space gray back of the iPad than it would have looked on the red Fintie shell. I'm attaching a picture.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1386988804.862273.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	116669

Right now I'm reclined in the recliner with the iPad propped on my belly with the leg of the solo propped on the folded back Smart Cover for stability. This is how I use my iPad the majority of the time. The Solo is much, much more stable than the origami case, especially for typing, and I can get a much better angle without workarounds. Typing like this is a lot more stable. With the origami case, it rocked too much if I tried to type on my lap without stabilizing it somehow.

Using the Solo as a grip to hold the iPad with one hand is not going to be as comfortable as the Gripster, but I didn't have any kind of grip with the origami case, so that is also an improvement.

The mechanism isn't as elegant as the Gripster. It takes a little more effort to rotate and position the stand, and the leg is skinnier so not as stable. But it does offer almost equivalent flexibility as far as positioning options, both in portrait and landscape. The only deficiency is that you can't do upside-down portrait, with the speaker at the top, unless you install it closer to that edge. It has to be installed off-center from top to bottom or else you don't get the almost straight angle for portrait. I hope that makes sense.

Bottom line: I like it for the cheap price but I will most likely still buy the Gripster when it's out.

Incidentally, I also got a reply today from Zerochroma from my question about dimensions. It was a one sentence reply that did not give dimensions, but said they don't recommend it for the iPad Air. Not even a mention that something was in the works for iPad Air or anything. Not much in the way of salesmanship.

Anyway, I am happy with it!
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote