View Single Post
Old 12-30-2012, 07:01 PM   #18
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I get sufficient challenge, stimulation and new ideas from my reading without ever resorting to a dictionary. When I learnt to read I also learnt to work out the meaning of new words from their context.

I consider using a dictionary cheating and pity anyone who can't read a book without cheating!

Of course those reading in a second or subsequent language have the right to any assistance they may require.
I've been reading since I was three, I have a good vocabulary and there are still some words that I can't get the full meaning of from the context. Also, sometimes it's pure curiousity that sends me to the dictionary. Usuually when the word in question is one that we don't use anymore, or a scientific one.

I think that using the dictionary is fine. As a matter of fact, I think not using it is lazy. And not reading a book because it has "big words" is kind of lazy too.

I read all kinds of books, the airport thrillers to literature. I like to expose my brain to different kinds of writing styles
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote