View Single Post
Old 07-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #1
no.guru
Crazy like a
no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.no.guru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Sony PRS-350
Microsoft’s Downfall ( Vanity Fair) - Interesting quotes - an ereader in 1998!

There was a prototype of this ereader built, but we never saw it.

"Today, a single Apple product—the iPhone—generates more revenue than all of Microsoft’s wares combined."
"According to [Vanity Fair Contributing Editor Kurt] Eichenwald, Microsoft had a prototype e-reader ready to go in 1998 (emphasis mine), but when the technology group presented it to Bill Gates he promptly gave it a thumbs-down, saying it wasn’t right for Microsoft. “He didn’t like the user interface, because it didn’t look like Windows,” a programmer involved in the project recalls."

http://www.vanityfair.com/online/dai...-steve-ballmer

That's funny, because I count my first ereader as an HP Jornada with Windows CE. I used to download content to it and put it in plain txt format to get away from the keyboard and still be able to read the online content I wanted.

I also put a couple of Project Gutenberg works on it, but it was backlit and the display was horrible and hurt my eyes compared to what we have today.

Last edited by no.guru; 07-05-2012 at 12:20 AM. Reason: added comment
no.guru is offline   Reply With Quote