Thread: Classic Nook 1.5 Update Confirmed
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2010, 03:38 PM   #59
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by chas0039 View Post
I love paper books and yet I have been waiting for a good eReader for over 10 years. I cannot speak for others, but I don't know anyone who appreciates arrogance. The Nook could easily be made to handle large numbers of non-B&N titles. Noovdev has shown this. It is also the case that most other eReaders have already included these features, including the Kindle.

We don't expect to find the perfect eReader, we are just fed up with a company that ignores us and disables an otherwise good device. As someone elsewhere has pointed out, if Kindle ever added epub support, they would control the market.
People are forgetting on important fact. The Nook allows you to buy DRM books from almost any bookstore (except Amazon). Because of this B&N needs some way to make buying their books more attractive than buying those of other bookstores (they are in this business to sell their books, not e-readers). That is the reason there are more features for B&N books than for non-B&N books.

Amazon does not need to worry about this because they only allow you to buy DRM books at one place: Amazon. That is the reason they can offer the same features for all books. Nook users are probably reading a lot more non-B&N books than Kindle users are reading non-Kindle books.

So those people complaining about reading non-B&N books on the Nook should consider that if they had a Kindle they would not have been able to read those books at all.

As an aside. I do not understand why people feel they should keep hundreds or even thousands of non-B&N books on their Nook. All my non-B&N books (more than 2000) are archived on my PC. I keep some 10 to 20 non-B&N books on my Nook as the next books that I want to read.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote