Thread: FIRE vs TABLET
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2011, 04:50 PM   #518
DreamWriter
Books are brain food.
DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DreamWriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite · Fire HD6/HD8/HD10 · Galaxy Tab A7
7" 8GB Acer Iconia A100

A few days ago, I ordered a 7" 8GB Acer Iconia A100 from Best Buy for $189.99. It was one of the items featured in their Thanksgiving ad. The suggested retail is $330; Amazon has it for $299.99 right now.

Best Buy's website is still showing the price as $189.99 and there's an "add to cart" button, although it says it's currently not being sold online. It still may be available in stores at that price right now, though.

Here are the specs:

Android 3.2 (Honeycomb) - word is that it will be upgraded to 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich)
7” HD Multi-Touch TFT Display: (1024 x 600) resolution, 16:10 aspect ratio
NVIDIA® Tegra™ 2 Dual Core Mobile Processor
1GB DDR2 Memory
NVIDIA® GeForce® GPU
8GB Internal Storage
MicroSD memory card slot up to 32GB
Dolby® Mobile Technology
Dual Analog Microphone
Dual Speaker
802.11b/g/n Wireless(802.11n 2.4GHz only)
Bluetooth® 2.1+EDR
1- Micro USB 2.0 Port
1- USB 2.0 Port
1- Micro HDMI™ Out (with support for 1080p & Dual Displays)
5MP Rear Facing Camera with Auto Focus and single LED flash
2MP Front Facing Camera
GPS
Ambient light sensor
Adobe Flash
Access to Android Market
Sensors:G-Sensor, E-Compass, L-Sensor, Gyro-meter
Rechargeable Lithium-ion polymer Battery
Up to 4-hours battery life for Video Playback via Wi-Fi
Up to 4.5-hours battery life for Video Playback on system
.92 lbs.

In addition to the usual Android Google apps, it comes with Clear.fi, Media Server, Acer Sync, Nemo Player, Docs to Go, Aupeo (radio), Solitaire, and Planner.

The two recurring criticisms that I've read are:
  • the battery life is too short
  • the screen viewing angles aren't great in all positions when tilted (it is a TFT display, not IPS)

I don't think the battery life is going to be a problem for me since I will use it at home most of the time, but I'm hoping that the screen looks good! If not, I can always return it to a local Best Buy.

Just thought I'd mention this as an option for anyone looking for a small tablet in the $200 price range. I don't know how long it will be at this price, but it seems like a great deal to me!
DreamWriter is offline   Reply With Quote