View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 10:05 PM   #12
wayspooled
Crab In The Dark
wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wayspooled ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Tablet PC until a 10" comes out that I like
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
Many of the above books are older as well. I'm hoping for something more contemporary. I'm also vaguely wondering if there are any STAND ALONE novels of high fantasy anymore, as nearly everything is the start of a series, and I don't want to get drawn into a series I don't have time to finish right now. But I welcome all suggestions, even if they are part of a series.
Charles de Lint has a standalone "sorta" urban fantasy but it's not swords and sorcery exactly, very good - "The Little Country"

CJ Cherryh has 2 standalones that might fit the above, "The Paladin" is just great. Might consider "The Goblin Mirror" as well. If you can find them. Neil Gaiman's "Stardust" too. All good stories. I'd rate "The Paladin" as the best of those. I know she's known for her sci/fi mostly and although I don't really dig all of her fantasy stuff, she's written so many that it happens 4 or 5 of them are primo stuff, not just "read it, like it, forget about it", and her fantasy is more to the tune of the pre-D&D age, high fantasy styles stuff.

Sorry, nothing more modern comes to mind. Y'all have used up all my usual favorites that are unfortunately part of trilogies or such. The best of the series starts I'd call Feist's "Magician" (Riftwar Saga) and Tad Williams' "The Dragonbone Chair" (Memory, Sorrow and Thorn) and David Edding's "Pawn of Prophecy" (The Belgariad).

Last edited by wayspooled; 06-03-2009 at 09:06 AM.
wayspooled is offline   Reply With Quote