View Single Post
Old 11-18-2011, 05:44 PM   #1
marymac
marymac began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Pls Suggest: How to search archives

I've got about 500 books, and 5 family members on our Kindle Account. Mostly I buy the books and so far my memory is OK and I can remember what book it is out in the Archives. I buy LOTs of books that don't interest the other readers which probably annoys them. I also have access to the Manage your Kindle website and the special site where you can read your highlights and see your ratings... but I really don't want to give the other users unlimited access to my Amazon account....And besides neither of these Amazon websites let you search (or even sort) by your collections.

But, scrolling through the archives is really tedious, and the only way to know what a book is about is to download it and then look at the book description.

I've tried doing the "search your items" functionality on the Kindle.... but it searches for the word ANYWHERE in the book....

I was wondering, is there a way to uniquely name collections that will allow you to search the archives by collection? Where is the collection named stored: is it even in the archive or is it just on each Kindle?

There is something called "tagging" which appears to be an old function on all of Amazon's sites... I don't know if that would help me here as the tag is public, and I don't know if it is stored in the archive. For example, If I search by Fiction (which is not in my collection name), some books do show up that are fiction but not all books which are fiction show up (additionally, books with fiction in the text show up). Is there a way to make a private tag on the Kindle books that are in the archive?

I've sent suggestions/feedback to Amazon about even just letting us sort the archive by date added... or ideally to sort by collections or allow you to look up a description from the archive list.... or make their webpage have collections on it...but I honestly don't think they want to deal with this organizational problem we all have with Kindles.

Thanks for any suggestions!!
marymac is offline   Reply With Quote