View Single Post
Old 08-18-2012, 04:07 AM   #9
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellett View Post
I was thinking that once you built a display grouped, sorted etc. to a user's satisfaction, there would be some sort of staged data that reflected the display that could be referred to so the screen could be reloaded very fast. So if CC comes out of background it would just refer to the staged data to repaint the display rather than having to go back to the books to re-retrieve the metadata and re-group and re-sort it.
The problem here is that the android OS frequently kills apps when they "go to sleep". When they are awakened, they are in fact restarted from scratch. If CC is actually reawakened, which seems almost never to happen, then it reuses what it computed before.
Quote:
So far, it's when calibre has already broken the connection that I'd like to have a cancel function. Right now CC just hangs, and pressing return repeatedly does nothing. That's what I'd like to see fixed in one way or another.
What "return" are you pressing?
Quote:
One thing that has me nervous is that it's at the very end of the transfer process, after all books are transferred, that I see a message about updating metadata. Does that leave the risk of having several hours of transfers not being reflected on the screen if something happens 98% through a transfer? Would it be better to checkpoint the metadata after each n books, or does everything heal itself the next time a connect is done?
In calibre, most devices must separate the metadata update process from the send book process. There aren't any "smarts" in the device to grab the metadata as it goes by when sending a book. However, CC does have those smarts and does grab it then. Another thing that can happen when in automatic metadata management mode (which I think all CC users should be using) is that calibre can actually make updates to metadata after a send, but this is rare.

To avoid a lot of useless work in both cases, the device driver (in calibre) compares the metadata that is to be sent with what the CC already has. Because CC grabs metadata on the fly, it is rare that significant transfers are actually done here. A similar process is done during startup, where the device driver compares the metadata CC sent back to the metadata that automatic management wants to send. New metadata is sent to CC only if there are changes, for example if you changed tags, series, or some such.
Quote:
Thanks again. CC is a really cool product.
Thank you for your comments. They are helpful.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote