View Single Post
Old 05-15-2013, 02:25 PM   #564
Marrella
Cambrian crab
Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marrella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Pocket Book, Kobo, Sony
Finished The Drowning Girl by Caitlin R. Kiernan. Beautiful narrative, good narrator but nothing much happened in this book. It's more of a life story about character relationships and a mysterious painting called The Drowning Girl. I liked it, but not as much as The Red Tree.

Also finished Factoring Humanity by Robert J. Sawyer and The Wee Free Men by Terry Pratchett. If you like Discworld, you will probably like this first book about Tiffany Aching, witch in training and the wee free men, who are blue pixies wearing kilts and speaking with a Scottish accent. I liked it a lot.

Factoring Humanity is a 1998 first contact novel which I found to have aged rather well. But beware, it's also heavy on character relationships beside the science fiction plot. It was read by Katherine Kellgren who was as wonderful as always.

In between the longer audiobooks, I have listened to the BBC dramatization of Stephen Baxter's Voyage. This is an alternate history where president Kennedy has survived and led the Americans not only to the Moon, but also to Mars. I liked it, but I thought it was a bit short for all the things that were happening. It made me want to read the book, though.

I am currently stocking up on Robert J. Sawyer's older stuff in audio format, and I am now listening to one of my favorites of his, Illegal Alien. The aliens have landed - or rather crash landed - on Earth. A human is murdered and one of the aliens is suspected of having done away with him. This is a courtroom drama with an alien defendant, very well done in my opinion.

I am also listening to The Adventures of Tom Sawyer by Mark Twain, read by Grover Gardner who is just perfect for this story which was one of my favorite childhood books.
Marrella is offline   Reply With Quote