View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM   #11
pollito pito
i warned you ...
pollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litterpollito pito doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manichean View Post
Here I go again derailing threads. Mea maxima culpa.
Believe me, please, no offense was intended. You are, off course, right; calibre is not the slowest beast down there, nor is it the most memory hungry. Nevertheless, calibre is among the slowest, at least in all of the 5 systems I run it. Several settings can improve both the start up time and its overall speed (sometimes dramatically) but in general is slow.
You mentioned OpenOffice, GIMP (don’t know what Photoshop is. ), I’d add to your list Sigil, Scribus, Inkscape and NetBeans, all of which are slow to load. (BTW, the sluggishness of the OpenOffice is legendary, the subject of countless flame wars and probably the most common source of complain). None of the programs on that list ever took more than 30 sec to load, which calibre sometimes does. And I repeat; sometimes calibre takes very loooong time to load.
Again, I agree, ~ 5 sec load time is not much for a program as complex as calibre. If you have consistently large startup times for a library < 1K books, may be you should look for pests on your system.
pollito pito is offline   Reply With Quote