View Single Post
Old 09-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
schooner1892
schooner1892 began at the beginning.

Device: none
In Calibre v 0.7.28 the poor rendering of a jpg cover image.

Calibre v 0.7.28
Mac OS 10.4.11 Tiger

Hi,

First let me say that while I'm skilled in many aspects of my Mac and with many programs, I am definitely not skilled in Calibre, having just started using it

I've just completed getting my novel formatted and I'm using Calibre to read it. I'm getting ready (and doing some more studying of how to do it) to upload the novel to the eBook retailers. I have the book (titled UNCHARTED VOYAGE) in the following formats:

uncharted-epub.css (and mobi)
as well as the readable
Uncharted.epub (and mobi)

Everything looks good except for the cover. The cover was created in Indesign by someone else. I don't know anything about Indesign and I no longer have access to that person's talents. Everything about the cover looks good except for the lettering of the subtitle. The lettering should be solid black, but shows as black with some white specks. Not good.

The jpg that the Indesign person gave me is perfect.

Before I try to do anything with the image, I have the following questions for you about Calibre.

My questions are:
Could it be that my jpg cover is still perfect, but doesn't show as such in my Calibre v 0.7.28 rendition of the book?

Could it be that the cover will upload to the retailers in perfect condition?
Attached are images of the original Indesign jpg:
(Cover Original jpg.jpg (22.7 KB)
and
Cover Calibre Epub version.jpg (19.0 KB)
The mobi cover is similar to the epub.

Please notice the difference in the lettering of "A Novel of International Trafficking In Sex". In fact, when I look closely, there's much about the graphics in the Calibre that's inferior to the original.

I've been told, and I find, that Calibre can be temperamental with Mac. For instance, the epub file type is much more manageable than the mobi. Right now the mobi won't even open for me and I’ve had this happen before.

Thanks for any help,

Rafael
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Original jpg.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	92163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Calibre Epub version.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	92164