View Single Post
Old 06-02-2009, 07:04 AM   #1
sirbruce
Provocateur
sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirbruce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Kindle 2, Kindle DX, iPhone 3GS
Looking for a contemporary high or epic fantasy recommendation

Okay, so I'm currrently working on a fantasy novel that is the usual Hero's Journey type plot. For inspiration I would like to be reading a similar sort of tale as I write, something involving quests, coming-of-age, mysterious mentors, and that sort of thing. I've already had several good recommendations:

Riftwar Saga - Raymond Feist
His Dark Materials - Philip Pullman
Shanarra Series - Terry Brooks
The Sword of Truth - Terry Goodkind
The Belgariad - David Eddings
The Crystal Shard - R.A. Salvatore

etc.

I'm not interested in The Wheel of Time. I had been reading Robib Hobb's Assassin's Apprentice series, but it's not quite in the right tone.

Many of the above books are older as well. I'm hoping for something more contemporary. I'm also vaguely wondering if there are any STAND ALONE novels of high fantasy anymore, as nearly everything is the start of a series, and I don't want to get drawn into a series I don't have time to finish right now. But I welcome all suggestions, even if they are part of a series.
sirbruce is offline   Reply With Quote