View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
iBooks DRM restrictions

I'm trying to understand exactly what the DRM restrictions are on iBookstore purchases. Here's what I understand so far (based only on what I've gleaned from apple.com; I'm at least a few weeks from getting an actual iPad):

- purchases can only be performed with an iPad (or soon, iPhone, iPod Touch) that is connected via wireless, using the iBooks app and an existing iTunes account. Currently you cannot purchase books with the iTunes app itself (either on iPad or on a computer).

- once purchased, iBookstore purchases can be downloaded to any iBooks device that's authorized for the same iTunes account. You can remove books and later get another copy at any time (again, assuming you have wireless connection).

- if you sync to a computer, the books on your iPad are backed up to your iTunes library, and can be moved to another iPad/iPhone that you connect to that computer (assuming its iBooks app is authorized against the same iTunes account).

Despite my best efforts to locate this information on apple.com, I've been unable to determine is how many devices can have simultaneous access to an iBookstore purchase. The iBooks FAQ states that "You can sync your books to any iPads you own." Really? So if I own 100 iPads, I can access 100 copies of the book?

I have an analogous question about App Store purchases. I am guessing the same restriction (whatever it is) applies to both.

As an aside, the fact that you can sync purchases up to your computer seems irrelevant since you can't view it there, and can apparently always get a copy from the cloud using iBooks.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote