View Single Post
Old 04-28-2010, 05:52 AM   #94
orwell2k
Addict
orwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheeseorwell2k can extract oil from cheese

Device: PocketBook 360°, BeBook (Hanlin V3), iRex DR1000S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndecisiveMe View Post
I've only been using this great version of FBReader for a few days and I love it. I initially installed it for the wrist page turn feature, but find that I can't get it to work properly. I use is mainly while lying down in bed and I find that it stops working fairly quickly. I do love the other features though, especially the single step font change for zooming.
I had some troubles on earlier versions - I set the rotation setting to '180 + FAST prev/next' or '180 + SLOW prev/next' - I can't remember which one now. I think I chose the slow one to get a screen refresh (invert) on each turn as that removes any ghost/shadow traces left behind from the previous page. I think the SLOW was supposed to do this, but I just checked and FAST seems to also.

I also set the 'trigger' angle quite low - 20 or 25 degrees - so it's reasonably sensitive.

There seems to be a bit of a trick to getting the wrist pageturn feature to start off. I first go to the settings and select the rotation mode (180 + SLOW prev/next), then exit the settings and again go to the menu and select the rotation icon, and then choose the gyro setting (the middle of the little display that comes up - just hit OK). Then after the reader repaginates (the status bar will not show the page numbers until that process is finished - takes about 10-15 seconds) I then do one page turn via button, and this seems to activate the wrist turn feature.

The only problem as I said is if you lie on your side the device tries to turn pages unless you rotate back to vertical, which is not comfy. I only use the feature now and again, but I find the strange 'sleep' of the feature, and the fact my keypad auto-lock times out after a while without a button push, make it a nice-to-have rather than a necessity.

But the advanced formatting features available in this reader are beyond awesome and are the main reason I use it - better than anything else I've tried on other devices, even my beloved BeBook (Hanlin V3). And the big guns like Kindle and Sony - forget it! PB360 with FBReader offers so much more in formats, features and flexibility - the 3 Fs!
orwell2k is offline   Reply With Quote