View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 03:43 PM   #8
aidren
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab View Post
...But I just tried saving a page with highlighted text passage, a note and journal link as a PDF - only the highlight came across, or was 'usable' in "documents to go". The word that has the journal file linked to it was highlighted in a different colour.

...do the scribbled journal entries get lost in transmission?
Unfortunately, everything seems to get lost.

I opened a pdf text file with TOC, bookmarks and notes/comments and hilites that were created in Acrobat Pro 8, and the TOC and other linked bookmarks showed up and worked on the LCD side, as expected. Very useful feature. But my notes and comments that were created in acrobat aren't accessible. They appear in the TOC as bookmarks and the links are live, but on the reader side all that carried across was the hilited text without access to the existing pdf notes/comments.

I continued to experiment with creating notes and annotations on the eDGe, (I really like what you CAN do, btw.) but soon discovered that the pdf export feature exports an image pdf. What's that about? So now, all of the previously existing functionality in the original file is gone (TOC, bookmarks, notes and comments are stripped) because none of those features work in an image based file – unless, of course, you have a hidden text layer, but then, that is also stripped if you export to pdf on the eDGe. The access to the notes created on the eDGe is lost as well.

EDIT
Quote:
Please see this thread for an update on this.
http://www.entourageedge.com/forums/...-Functionality

Quote:
To work with these linkages seamlessly you'll have to stick with using the eDGe.
I realize you are talking about journal entries here (and I am not), but it looks like this is the only way to maintain information added in the eDGe.

Basically, Entourage is taking the 'portable document format' and making it 'non-portable'! And that's a 'deal-breaker' for me, unfortunately. I have to be able to move my pdf's around, without losing 99% of their function and all of my hard work.

EDIT
Quote:
A big apology on my part, here. After corresponding with Entourage and doing some research, it seems that it is Adobe that is responsible. Go figure, but somehow, not too surprising! Sorry Entourage.
It's a shame, really, because, to the extent that I have played with the gadget, I really like it.

What department (or who) should I communicate with regarding whether these issues can be corrected via updates? Or whether they can't. Entourage has a two week return policy and I am at the beginning of the second week. If they are planning updates that can correct these problems, I would need some assurances from them.

EDIT
Quote:
I will be keeping my eDGe. I don't think I will find what I'm looking for in any ereader. I think Adobe has the industry pretty much wrapped up... or should I say, "bound up." But, then again, I may be wrong about that, too.

Last edited by aidren; 04-22-2010 at 09:23 PM. Reason: Update