View Single Post
Old 08-07-2013, 04:46 PM   #25
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu View Post
I've never heard the term "semantic size".
I'm not quite sure, what you want to express with using that term.
I mean to express a core part of the CSS spec that deals with font size. If you're going to tinker with CSS, you should know about this. They call it "absolute size," but it's a semantic designation:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSS2 specification
<absolute-size>
An <absolute-size> keyword is an index to a table of font sizes computed and kept by the UA. Possible values are:

[ xx-small | x-small | small | medium | large | x-large | xx-large ]

The following table provides user agent guidelines for the absolute-size mapping to HTML heading and absolute font-sizes. The 'medium' value is the user's preferred font size and is used as the reference middle value.
See also "smaller" and "larger", which mean "go up/down one size."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu
I know that each user has on each device one single ergonomic size for a specific font. For "running text" (not sure what's the correct typografic jargon in english).
False, as noted above. Every UA - that's User Agent, whether we're talking about a browser, dedicated e-reader, or app - is expected to maintain seven distinct sizes, although six of them are usually calculated from one "normal size" baseline. The ratio between them can vary between UAs, and using the UA's interface to say "make it smaller" or "make it larger" affects all seven sizes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibu
That's the simple reason, why every font-size rules in digital media for running text other than "1em" is evil.
You are aware that defining text as being "1em" in size is pointless, right?

Last edited by Rev. Bob; 08-07-2013 at 04:55 PM.
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote