View Single Post
Old 05-28-2008, 11:55 AM   #5
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by basschick View Post
i've been surfing ebookstores all day. i see that protected mobipocket seems to be everywhere with the authors and titles i want. but bookeen is a small company - in 5 or 6 years, i could have to replace my entire elibrary if they fold.
This is a real concern, but only if the DRM-provider or the place your bought your ebooks from folds. The least intrusive DRM is eReader's, because it just requires you to remember your credit card number and is otherwise transferable. Three major DRM formats: LIT, MOBI, and eReader can be broken by downloadable software tools. In the US, stripping DRM probably isn't legal even if your DRM provider goes out of business but it is nice to know this last resort is available. If you think DRM is evil, then one approach is to be proactive by buying LIT (say) and immediately striping the DRM and format shifting to be compatible whatever devices you want. LIT is the best choice in this case because it is the best "archive" format of the three (LIT, MOBI, eReader).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote